Miniatures Painting and Modelling
This page is a collection of useful stuff relating to my hobbies of
modelling, sculpting and painting. I've always enjoyed miniatures, but really
only got into the hobby around 2004. I haven't really built or painted
anything in the past 3 years, but I am picking it back up with my
Settlers of Catan project.
Previously I did a lot of minis for my
Warhammer 40K Ork army, and
Battlefleet Gothic Ork fleet, but at other
times in the past I have painted up various fantasy minis.
Warhammer 40K and Battlefleet Gothic
- Blackstone Outpost
- A BFG site with spiffy downloads and other info
- Banners and Badges from Hangar 8
- There are lots of lovely banners for download on this site. Even orky ones.
- The Waaagh Forums
- This is THE forum for Ork players. The number of talented people on this forum is absolutely frightening. The Mek's Garage is home to a number of projects that eventually ended up in issues of the White Dwarf.
- The Tactical Command Forums
- Forums for BFG and Epic.
- Scarpia's 40K stuff
- Scarps is one of the denizens of the Waaagh. He does some amazing stuff.
- Mike's Blog
- Mike is another Waaagh member. This guy has great imagination and some serious building skills.
- Warboss GargDregga's stuff
- GargDregga, aka Darkfather, has some very cool stuff. And it's a family affair to boot.
- Irondog Studios
- Irondog does some very creative stuff and his painting skills are top-notch.
- Big Shoota
- Sukigod of the Waaagh's stuff. Serious painting skills.
- The Waaagh's Gallery
- Has links to some of the Waaagh's member pages, such as: Nightserpent and Gorfrag.
- Orky Glyphs
- Ork Glyphs and their meanings compiled by Gaf-naz of The Waaagh
- Kr00zA's Gargant Size Chart and the Ueber-Mega-Version
Tutorials, Tips and Tricks
- Painting Fire
- Modeling Flames
- Painting: Terminator Stone Templar Scheme
- Useful youtube video on basic troop painting techniques.
- Weathered Metal
- Particularly rusty looking scythe blade from a dude on coolminiornot.
- Color Modulation by Adam Wilder
- shading for vehicles.
- Painting Figures with Model Color by Mario Fuentes
- Words of wisdom from the experts at Vallejo.
- Works on coolminiornot by Shawn R. L.
- This guy has some amazing pieces and his stuff is great reference for OSL.
- The Waaagh - Tibald's Cracked Earth Tutorial
- Making Barbed Wire
- Dysartes.com: Dipping
- How-to dip miniatures for quick decent results on a large army.
Concept Art Forums: Smellybugs Maquette Tutorial
- This is a wonderful tutorial on working with Sculpey and sculpting in general.
- The Complete Future
- This is the whole story on Future Floor Finish and its uses in modelling.
- Resin Casting Tutorial at Ultrawerke
- Good step-by-step guide to resin casting a simple model (tank hull).
- Beginner's Guide to Putty
- Article I wrote for The Waaagh Modeling FAQ.
General Hobby Info
- Game Recording Tool
- Interesting. Haven't given it a go yet.
- Scratchbuilt Star Wars Star Destroyer
- Four foot long scratchbuilt Star Destroyer and other projects
- Brilliant article of one man's journey to a Golden Demon Award.
- Cool Mini or Not
- Pictures of all sorts of miniatures from the sublime to the ridiculous
- Awesome modelling from a guy with a funny name.
- The Shiflett Brothers
- Some lovely super-hero sculpts
- Villafane Studios
- More super-hero sculpts, plus check out his pumpkins!.
- Some insanely beautiful minis for inspiration.
- Hirst Arts Fantasy Architecture Inc.
- Nice commercial site with useful mold-making info.
- Sculpting Tutorial
- Interesting tutorial by a dude name of Jason Miller. Good basic tips. Sound advice.
- Good reference site. It's for anime, but what the heck, it's still good and useful stuff.
- Animator vs Animation
- Not modelling but cool anyway.